Monday, March 31, 2008

Kirkland Musem







I was delightfully surprised by the Kirkland Museum of Fine and Decorative Arts. Anyone starting a registry for a house or wedding needs to see this place, as they have a fabulous collection of housewares, and china. It's a great study of design, and will help anyone appreciate where the current Crate & Barrel forms come from. It will also make the options at Bed Bath and Beyond seem boring and limited.









Apparently the current paintings on display are a collection of Colorado artists. Well all the furniture and ceramics outshine the paintings monstrously.











When I entered the museum, I thought I was in the gift shop, until I realized I was looking at the actual displays. Every room is crammed pack with Decorative furniture, and cases and cases of wares. The paper printed Warhol soup dress in the basement is not to be missed. If you are lucky enough to have one hiding flat in your basement, that was once distributed for less than $2, well dig it out, b/c it is now worth estimated $4000.

I also enjoyed the various espresso cups, and fiesta ware. I could do without Kirkland's dot paintings, but I see their importance in Art History.



Just a warning, don't plan on sitting down anywhere, as all the chairs are off limits, unless you have supersonic vision, and can read the fine print on the clear labels on a select few chairs that read, "for visitor seating" but don't risk it, otherwise you might sit on an old unstable Frank Lloyd Wright chair, and I don't want to think about the consequences.

No comments: